Monday, July 20, 2009

What the heck are the Yamas and Niyamas???

Hi All!

I thought I would post this from July's newsletter as a refresher. Also, I there was a typo in the newsletter, listing both the Yamas and Niyamas as "attitudes toward ourselves"... I suppose that was a Freudian slip of sorts alluding to my extreme narcissism-- HA! So here you go:

What are the Yamas and Niyamas?

Yamas - our attitudes toward others:

1. Ahimsa: Non-harming

2. Satya: Truthfulness or right communication

3. Asteya: Non-stealing or non-covetousness

4. Brahmacharya: Appropriate use of sexual energy or moderation

5. Aparigraha: Non-hoarding

Niyamas- our attitudes towards ourselves:

1. Sauca: Cleanliness

2. Santosha: Contentment

3. Tapas: Self-discipline or correct habits

4. Svadyaya: Self-study

5. Isvara Pranidhana:
Reverence to a higher intelligence or the acceptance of our limitations in relation to God

No comments:

Post a Comment