Friday, June 4, 2010

Crane or Crow?

Hello Friends!

Among many of you, I am known to be, shall we say, "particular" about the correct names of the poses and their meaning in Sanskrit.

I decided this month to address an inconsistency that has bothered me for some time. And that's "bakasana". Now, almost everyone calls this crow pose, but "baka" means "crane" in Sanskrit. The Sanskrit word for "crow" is "kaka". So why does this matter and who cares? Well, I care, and I tell you why it matters! ;)

First, let me show you some pictures:

Here's a crow:


Here's a crane:



Big difference, yes? Take a close look at the crow. Notice how it has short, sturdy legs, that are bent slightly. And yet there's a sense of lightness to the bird --- you've seen a crow hopping on the ground. That's what I mean, the legs are bent, and strong, and though the crow is much lower and closer to the ground you get the feeling that the bird is strong and could just hop, jump up and fly at any moment.

Now look at the crane. It's a water bird, and the legs are long, skinny and often straight. (I know, you are thinking my long skinny legs remind you of a crane- but I digress). The "rasa" or "essence" of the crane is a patient vigilance waiting for it's prey, it's large body perched high atop those long straight legs.

How does this translate to the physical poses? First, most people have to learn "kakasana" (crow pose), with arms bent, before they can straighten their arms and perch their body high up on top in "bakasana" (crane pose). Look at the difference between these two poses:

A young girl in kakasana (crow):



A woman in bakasana (crane):



Pretty obvious difference, right? Now compare them to the images of the actual birds above and determine for yourself if the "rasa" (essence) and feeling you get from the two poses is different and closely resembles the bird after which they are named.

If you come to my classes, you often hear me say that the name of the pose will give you an idea of what you are going for in a pose, and what qualities are there for you to receive from a pose when you are in it. Next time you lift your body up and balance on your hands, imagine yourself not just IN the pose, but AS the pose.

Be Flighty!
Liz Doyle
Www.LizDoyleYoga.com

5 comments:

  1. Now see this is really important to me as well..I struggle in every class I take with the postures and their names.. Id love to sit and pick your brain sometime. For obvious reasons I am not submerged in the yoga world or lingo...however I'd like to be, and finally know what direction I want to go in my life for the first time in a long time.This would be so much easier if we used the proper Sanskrit and names for each posture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice explaination of the two poses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, that is a great explanation. I love how you show the two birds, it is now etched in my memory :).

    ReplyDelete