Thursday, June 9, 2011

Mental Range of Motion

Hey All,

Well, after two years of wanting, working and planning, I'm finally sitting in the airport to fly to London to study with one of my teachers, Edward Clark, of Tripsichore Yoga fame.

Just a few quick notes before I go:

First, I arranged for some great subs while I'm gone- you can see the list to the right, and I encourage you to be very consistent and diligent in your practice while I'm away. Stay strong, get stronger, work on your breathing and gracefulness, for we will have lots of meaningful and FUN work to do when I return.

Second, my teaching and workshop schedule is very busy when I return, and I encourage you to deepen your practice and join me for the weekend retreat September 24-25 at Mt. Rainier, and one of the workshops I have scheduled- you can read about them below.

Third, I wanted to share with you an experience I had in the few days leading up to my departure. I started to feel anxiety about leaving for an entire month. In my mid-thirties, I noticed something happening that I didn't appreciate very much. My comfort zone was getting smaller, and things I had enjoyed previously (like international travel) evoked a bit of fear and anxiety in me. At that time, I was preparing for a 3-week trip to South America and I realized that as we get older-- much like our connective tissue! -- our comfort zone naturally shrinks. So unless we do something to consciously push our limits, we'll end up doing less and less, and that's no way to live.

Your yoga practice is a microcosm of life in many ways, and just as in class where I encourage you to try new things, things that make you nervous, challenge you and things of which you never even conceived, I encourage you to do this in Life. Do something that makes you a little nervous- it's good for you.

Expansively Yours (and with much love),

Liz Doyle
Www.LizDoyleYoga.com

No comments:

Post a Comment